facebook-logo twitter-logo

Menu
  • Parent Category: ROOT

Top Stories’

Mulvaney admits quid pro quo, says military aid withheld to get Ukraine to probe Dems
(Official White House Photo by Joyce N. Boghosian) (WASHINGTON) -- After repeated White House denials – including from President Donald Trump himself -- that there was a quid pro quo in the Ukraine affair, White House Acting Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney on Thursday admitted there was one, saying Trump had ordered him to withhold military aid in part to pressure Ukraine to launch an investigation of Democrats.“President Trump is not a big fan of foreign aid. Never has been. Still isn’t. Doesn’t like spending money overseas, especially when it's poorly spent, and that is exactly what drove this decision,”...
Read more...
Family found mysteriously living in secret room for 9 years
Ismailciydem/iStock (RUINERWOLD, Netherlands) -- After a family of seven was found to be living mysteriously, and with no one’s knowledge, in a farmhouse on the outskirts of a small Dutch town, a court ordered on Thursday that an 8th person, the farmhouse's tenant, be detained for two weeks.The family had apparently been living in a small room in a farmhouse outside the town, perhaps since 2010, police said -- a fact that has surprised and puzzled people in the Dutch town of Ruinerwold, in the north of the Netherlands.The case came to light when a young man visited the De...
Read more...
Victims of Hard Rock Hotel collapse file lawsuit alleging negligence
eccolo74/iStock (NEW ORLEANS) -- Multiple victims injured in the Hard Rock Hotel collapse in New Orleans filed a lawsuit on Thursday against five companies involved in the construction of the building.The lawsuit alleges that cost-cutting measures led to the use of inferior materials and that the companies were aware of concerns by workers that some of the materials used were too "thin.""This major building collapse would not have occurred, but for the negligence and failure of the defendants," the lawsuit said.The collapse on Saturday left two people dead and dozens more injured. One person, a worker, was still unaccounted for...
Read more...
Mom of 6 says ‘hardest thing’ about breast cancer diagnosis was telling kids: ‘I could see the fear in their eyes’
(ABC/Nicolette Cain) Breast cancer patient Sarah Weimer opens up about her breast cancer journey on "The View" on Oct. 17, 2019, for Breast Cancer Awareness Month. (NEW YORK) -- For Sarah Weimer, a 36-year-old mother who was diagnosed with breast cancer, the "hardest thing" wasn't the side effects of chemotherapy but telling her six children that "mommy has breast cancer," she told The View on Thursday.Weimer, who is from Idaho, was diagnosed with stage-three breast cancer earlier this year. She opened up about her journey on Thursday, speaking about the warning signs that she had missed months before her diagnosis...
Read more...
In an ecologically-minded tweet, Ryan Reynolds confirms he and wife Blake Lively had a third girl
ABC, ABC/Lou Rocco (VANCOUVER, B.C.) -- In a tweet touting the importance of voting for green climate policy in his native Canada's elections on Monday, Ryan Reynolds buried some other big news by confirming he and wife Blake Lively have a third girl. Prior to this, the couple only confirmed that they'd had a third child on October 4. Deadpool star Reynolds, 42, and actress Lively, 32, are also parents to daughters James, 4½, and Inez, 2½. "I love B.C.," tweeted Reynolds, captioning a photo of he and Lively in a forest, with the actor holding the new baby in...
Read more...
Washington Wizards, Bradley Beal agree to two-year contract extension
taka4332/iStock (WASHINGTON) -- The Washington Wizards have agreed to a two-year contract extension with All-Star guard Bradley Beal, the team announced Thursday. Beal was already owed $58 million over the next two seasons. He will make $72 million over the span of the extension, which goes into effect for the 2021-2022 season.Beal could then be eligible for a five-year extension worth $266 million -- which would be the largest contract in NBA history.The deal comes as rumors that teams could seek to acquire Beal in a trade this season. The additional commitment could serve to dilute the trade market for...
Read more...
Juul suspends sale of sweet flavors amid mysterious vaping deaths, criticism over teen use
Tomsmith585/iStock (NEW YORK) -- Juul is suspending sales of its fruit flavors, including mango, creme and cucumber, while the Food and Drug Administration reviews the products, the company announced Thursday.In the meantime, the company will only sell tobacco, menthol and mint flavors. In a statement, Juul's new CEO K.C. Crosthwaite said that the company's products are intended for adult customers."We must reset the vapor category by earning the trust of society and working cooperatively with regulators, policymakers, and stakeholders to combat underage use while providing an alternative to adult smokers," K.C. Crosthwaite, Juul's new CEO, said in a statement.Critics disagreed...
Read more...