A 2-story farmhouse southeast of Sheldon was destroyed by fire Thursday evening. More than a half-dozen departments assisted Sheldon firemen.
Brett Clyden and his family were not at home. There was no injury, according to Sheldon Fire Chief Adam Zumwalt.
Zumwalt said the cause of the fire may have been the result of a wood stove. The house was engulfed when firemen arrived at 1551N and 3100E.
Firemen were at the scene about four-hours, called out a second time when the fire rekindled about 12:30 Friday morning.
Mutual aid was provided by fire departments from Woodland, Milford, Stockland, Concord, Watseka, Goodland and Kentland, IN and Richland Township.
Fire damages Manteno home
Manteno firefighters and several neighboring departments battled a 2-story house fire just after midnight (Friday) at 11701 North U.S. Route 45/52....in Kankakee County.
Manteno Chief Scott O'Brien said no one was at home at the time of the blaze. No injury was reported. Firemen found flames coming from the roof when they arrived.
The fire remains under investigation. A damage estimate wasn’t available.