Rantoul firefighters had themselves a busy weekend. They answered calls to four fires in a single day. One fire happened late Saturday night in Penfield where a faulty furnace was the cause. A fireplace heater was ruled the cause of a Sunday morning fire that gutted a home on the village’s east side.
Three other departments responded to a house fire Saturday afternoon. A 2-story home was destroyed. Paxton, Ogden-Royal and the Blue Grass departments provided mutual aide. The home’s occupant was treated for smoke inhalation.