A working smoke detector and the family dog get credit for alerting a family about a house fire early Sunday.
A family of four is homeless following the blaze that started on a lower level then worked its way upstairs. A husband and wife managed to escape the flames. Two teens were not at home at the time.
Milford Fire Chief Frank Hines reported the house, at 1133 N and 1800 E Road, was heavily damaged. The cause may have been an overloaded electrical outlet.
Mutual aid was provided by firemen from Cissna Park, Crescent Iroquois, Stockland and Woodland.