The death of a one-year-old Gilman boy last month in Kankakee has been ruled accidental as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Kankakee County Coroner Bob Gessner said test results determined Timothy Jewell died February 6 from the carbon monoxide. The boy's mother was also treated, but she survived.
It was reported last month, the car the boy's mother was driving had been involved in an accident and was stopped on Washington Avenue in Kankakee. That's where the boy was found unconscious in the vehicle. He was later pronounced dead at Presence St. Mary's Hospital.
Kankakee police said high levels of carbon monoxide were detected inside the car. An inspection of the car revealed a hole in the exhaust, allowing the deadly gas to make its way into the vehicle.