A 28-year-old Kankakee man is charged with first-degree murder in the death of his year-and-ahalf-year-old son. Keon Stokes is in custody also charged with aggravated battery to a child.
Kankakee and Manteno Police are involved with the investigation.
In a press release from the Kankakee Police Department, it was at 1:30 Monday morning when Manteno Police asked Kankakee authorities to check on an unresponsive child that was brought into a Manteno business by Keon Stokes. Police said Stokes asked an employee to call 911 because the child was unresponsive.
Stokes then left the business and drove back to his Kankakee residence. When Kankakee Police arrived at Stokes' home, they met Stokes carrying the child. The 18-month child was pronounced dead at Presence St.Mary's Hospital.
Police said the child had signs of trauma and internal injuries.
A high pressure system to the north will bring plenty of sunshine to central Illinois for the rest of the week.
Temperatures will still be a bit below average today (Tuesday) as we climb into the mid 50s. By Wednesday, it's a little closer to average as temperatures are back in the low 60s. Eventually by the weekend, the sunshine and light southerly winds help in reaching the 70s.
Traffic deaths on Illinois highways are on a pace to exceed last year's total of just over 1,000.
The Kankakee Daily-Journal reports there were 255 deaths on the roads through last week - compared with 179 at the same point last year.
Gianna Urgo is spokeswoman for the Illinois Department of Transportation. She says a mild winter and lower gas prices have encouraged more driving. She says statistics tend to level out during the course of a year.
Deaths in 2015 totaled 1,003. That's the highest since 1,043 died in 2008. Fatalities have dropped significantly since the 1960s, when an average 2,200 were killed annually on the state's roads.
Seven northwestern Indiana schools have canceled classes after local police received bomb threats naming some of the schools as targets.
The Lake Central School Corp. reports today's (Tuesday's) classes were canceled at Homan and Kolling elementary schools and Clark Middle School in response to the bomb threats.
Police in St. John and Schererville received calls Monday night saying bombs would go off in schools in those communities. The caller, according to a source, said "the caller specifically stated that bombs would result in injuries to many people in these buildings."
The schools notified parents in a recorded message sent out early Tuesday.
Reports stated that as a precaution all three Hammond Baptist Schools in Schererville were closed. So was St. Michael School in Schererville.