City of Gilman and Iroquois County OK Police Contract

Iroquois County and the City of Gilman have come to terms for the Iroquois County Sheriff’s Department to provide law enforcement for the Gilman community. A deputy will patrol the streets of Gilman for 40 hours every week, four 10-hour days. The county will pick up 15% of the cost; Gilman pays the other 85%. That deputy may also patrol the immediate area outside the city limits.

Board Chair John Shure says this is very workable and a step toward what the future may hold.  Shure thinks other communities will show interest in having the sheriff's office handle patrol duties. He said it could be a cost-saver for all involved.  The County is also purchasing Gilman’s police equipment, including its squad car.

94.1 WGFA